Windshield wipers are often an overlooked part of our vehicle maintenance, but they play a crucial role in maintaining our safety on the road. A clear and unobstructed view of the road is essential for safe driving, especially during adverse weather conditions.
Windshield wipers offer increased visibility clearing rain, snow, and debris from your windshield. Over time, wiper blades become worn, resulting in streaks, smears, and overall reduced effectiveness. This can hinder your ability to see clearly, especially during heavy rain or snowfall, putting you and your most precious cargo at risk.
4 Signs That Show You Need Wiper Replacement:
Knowing what to look for can help you identify the right time to change your worn-out windshield wipers—before you get caught in adverse weather or fail your State Vehicle Inspection.
- Streaking or Smearing: If your wipers are leaving streaks or smears on the windshield, even after cleaning, it’s a clear indication that the blades have deteriorated and need replacement.
- Skipping or Chattering: If the wiper blades skip across the windshield or make a chattering noise, it’s a sign of worn-out rubber, reducing their effectiveness.
- Uneven Wiping: Keep an eye out for areas on the windshield that remain unwiped or have reduced coverage. Uneven wiping is an indication that your wiper blades are bent or worn enough to no longer make proper contact with the glass.
- Cracked or Split Rubber: Every few weeks, inspect the rubber portion of the wiper blades for cracks, splits, or missing chunks. Damaged rubber blades can’t effectively clear the windshield, compromising visibility.
5 Easy Steps to Replacing Windshield Wipers:
Windshield wipers replacement is one of the easier vehicle maintenance items to keep up with. Follow these 5 simple steps from the auto repair experts at Chapel Hill Tire.
- Determine the Correct Size: Before purchasing new wiper blades, measure the length of the existing blades or consult your vehicle’s owner’s manual for the appropriate size.
- Purchase the Right Blades: Visit an auto parts store or contact your local car service experts, like Chapel Hill Tire in Raleigh, to purchase high-quality wiper blades that match the size and specifications recommended for your vehicle.
- Remove the Old Wiper Blades: Lift the wiper arm away from the windshield and locate the small tab or button where the blade connects to the arm. Press or slide it to release the old blade and carefully remove it.
- Attach the New Wiper Blades: Align the new wiper blade’s connector with the hook or pin on the wiper arm. Gently press the blade until it clicks into place. Ensure that it is securely attached.
- Test the New Blades: Lower the wiper arm back onto the windshield and turn on your vehicle’s wiper system to check the new blades’ functionality. Confirm that they are wiping smoothly and providing a clear view.
Windshield Wiper Replacement at Chapel Hill Tire
Maintaining clear visibility while driving is crucial for your safety and the safety of others on the road. If your windshield wipers are showing signs of wear or if it’s time for a replacement, don’t delay. Contact Chapel Hill Tire, your local car service experts in Raleigh, for professional windshield wiper replacement.
Our experienced technicians can ensure that you have high-quality wiper blades installed correctly, giving you the confidence to face any weather conditions.