As some of the newest and most innovative vehicles on the road, Teslas can leave drivers with a lot of questions once something goes wrong. We often have drivers ask:
- Can my flat Tesla tire be patched?
- How do you patch Tesla tires?
- What makes Tesla tires different?
The professional mechanics at Chapel Hill Tire are here to answer all of your questions about Tesla tire repair.
Can You Patch a Tesla Tire?
The short answer is yes—most punctured Tesla tires can be patched. In their early stages, Tesla tires could not be patched because of a foam layer lining the inside of the rubber to provide a smooth, quiet ride. This feature would turn the smallest punctures into large repairs. However, local Tesla service professionals can now complete patches for Tesla tires with minimal damage. If your tire has a severe slash or damage, it will require replacement.
Tubeless Tesla Tires: Information on Punctured Tires
Tesla tires are tubeless, which means that they may not leak when punctured. It is best, in these cases, to leave the nail in your tire until it can be patched. Tesla recommends not driving on a punctured tire, even if it is still full of air, as they can deflate suddenly at any moment.
How to Patch Tesla Tires
So how do mechanics like those at Chapel Hill Tire repair Tesla tires? They begin by removing the punctured object. Next, they carefully scrape away the foam layer to make room for the repair. Then, our mechanics can patch the puncture in your tire and refill it to the proper tire pressure.
How to Keep Tesla Tires Inflated
When it comes to flat tires and punctures, preventing damage should always be your first recourse. Here are a few ways that you can keep your Tesla tire inflated:
- Avoid Hazards on the Road: While it may not always be within your control, avoiding road hazards can significantly expand the lifespan of your tires. This includes driving carefully around potholes, debris, and more. If you live in an area with unavoidable hazards, you may consider investing in Road Hazard Tire Protection.
- Tire Pressure Settings: Maintaining proper tire pressure is key to keeping your tires protected. At the time of publication, Tesla recommends keeping your tires inflated to the pressure recommended on your tire information panel—even if it differs from the recommendations printed on your Tesla tire.
- Careful Driving: Do not drive on a compromised or flat tire. This risks making the damage substantially worse. If you must drive, be sure to do so carefully, safely, and slowly.
Chapel Hill Tire Tesla Service in the Triangle
If you need local Tesla service, the mechanics at Chapel Hill Tire are here with support. Our local mechanics have experience patching and repairing Tesla tires. We also provide new Michelin and Continental tires for Tesla vehicles at the lowest price—guaranteed. Chapel Hill Tire proudly serves the greater Triangle area with 9 locations across Raleigh, Apex, Durham, Chapel Hill, and Carrboro. You can make your appointment here online, explore our coupon page, or give us a call to get started today!